Your Quick Guide to Music Licensing for Business

By 12th June 2019Uncategorised

There are many benefits to playing background music in your business, for both customers and staff alike. However in order to play background music in your business legally you need to pay music licenses. Here’s a quick rundown of everything you need to know about music licenses for business.

Why do I need to pay licenses?

Are you ready for an analogy? If you walked into a sandwich shop, and got the shop assistant to make you a sandwich, you wouldn’t walk out of the shop without paying for it (unless you were a really bad person!). The shop assistant took the time to create that sandwich and they deserve paying for it. Similarly, songwriters and musicians deserve paying for their craft. Music licenses ensure that those within the music industry get paid fairly.

Who do I pay?

There are two main organisations, PRS for Music and PPL. PRS for Music collect money on behalf of the songwriters, composers and publishers, and PPL collect music on behalf of the record companies and performers (the artists themselves). These two businesses have combined to create TheMusicLicence allowing you to legally play music for employees and customers through radio and those songwriters and musicians are paid for their hard work.

How much does it cost?

PRS and PPL work out how much you should be paying based on the audible square footage of your business; that is the size of the area in which music will be heard. A small cafe will obviously pay considerably less than a department store which has dozens of sites. How you use the music will also affect how much you need to pay, for example are you using it for hold music or to broadcast throughout a store or restaurant? PRS and PPL provide bespoke quotes so you pay no more than you need to.

Do I need both licenses?

In most instances yes, as they cover you for copyright music. However, if you choose to play non-copyright music then you only need to pay for a PRS license (as the songwriters and composers still need paying). For example if you choose to play just cover versions of songs then you only require a PRS license. If you use music created by unsigned artists then you don’t require either license.

If you’re looking for a quote, simply get in touch with PRS and PPL via their website

If you’re looking for a trusted music provider that can supply you with the best background music for your business alongside licensing support, get in touch with KVH Studios on 0113 233 7800. Don’t forget to follow us on twitter @kvhstudios and like us on Facebook and Instagram for more useful hints and tips!





KVH Studios

Author KVH Studios

More posts by KVH Studios

Leave a Reply

Cookie Settings